We’ve talked about why video is so important to your online marketing strategy in the age of iPhones and Facebook. Let’s dig a little deeper into how the consumer brain functions and how you can tap hidden desires to deliver powerful business video.
In some circles, the study of neuromarketing has been called a pseudoscience, raising ethical concerns about the way people market to their consumers. But for our purposes, let’s consider nueromarketing a fancy word for “marketing towards consumer behavior in an increasingly digital age.”
To help you better understand why neuromarketing is so important and effective, we’ll use a real life scenario: buying a mattress.
Online consumer activity is driven by micro-moments, a term popularized and researched by Google. These are intent-driven and impulsive moments in which consumers find themselves in dire need of answers.
Finding the moments that your brand can win is imperative to effective nueromarketing. Narrow down what your audience is looking for and the type of answers they search for most. Whether it’s “what,” where,” “how” or “near me,” you’re expected to serve the answer on a visually appealing and informative platter.
Overnight Success Story: Purple
Mattress brand, Purple, began their campaign with an understanding that mattress technology, marketing and purchasing hadn’t changed in a really long time.
I think we can all agree as humans (that probably sleep on mattresses) that most of us don’t actively think about the quality of our mattress. We only begin searching for answers when ours is falling apart.
In response to this glaring reality, Purple dropped this Goldilocks parody video, gathering 158 million views and growing their business from 38 to 340 employees in the past year.
Let’s break down why they’ve been so successful with Goldilocks.
Our brains are lazy
Subconscious thought makes up 95 percent of all of our brain’s activity, leaving only 5 percent for active decision making. Chances are people that watched Purple’s video weren’t thinking about mattresses at all. Purple’s viral video did all of the thinking for them.
Purple ensures viewers feel something with video. For them, comedy and entertainment are able to convert viewers’ subconscious joy and happiness into dollars. In less than one day with Goldilocks, they were able to accomplish more sales growth than they had during their 45-day Kickstarter campaign.
FOMO doesn’t rest
With the rise of social media, consumers have developed an intense fear of missing out, or FOMO. A staple of neuromarketing, cultivating this fear drives us to purchase things and travel places we otherwise wouldn’t.
With humor and the scientific process on their side, the internet’s newest mattress sweetheart drummed up some FOMO with this video.
The video instills a subliminal fear that not having a Purple is something to lose sleep over. They’ve forced consumers to subconsciously consider the quality of their mattress and the brand behind it. No one wants a tired sales pitch.
We sleep with our eyes open
In an increasingly visual world, we turn to psychology to study how the colors in our Instagrams, Facebook videos and music videos affect the buying decisions of customers.
Though the science is a little shaky, neuromarketing and color have proven consistency is key. No, we’re not suggesting you need to change the name of your company to a single color like Purple. Take Insta- famous woodworker Aleksandra Zee, for example. She curates a brand image based on the color brown. She’s proven that consistency of color is effective for her following and her business.
When we create business video, the same concept applies. Check out Purple’s most recent viral sensation.
If you pay attention, Purple videos aren’t decked out in purple. They inject it naturally with everyday objects and remain consistent.
Before you make a business video, decide what color you want to own. Not only will your brand stand out, you create a subconscious connection between the color and your brand.
Rest assured, my friend.
As you plan your brand’s next video campaign keep these neuromarketing tactics in mind. If a mattress brand can get it right, so can you. Regardless of the industry, every business can benefit from video that answers the right questions with the right message in the right color.